Welcome to another edition of my Misadventures in Blogging!
As some of you may know – even though I’ve been around the blogosphere for a number of years, I only just recently launched NOT YET READ. Thus, I figured I’d share with you the drama I went through while picking my Blog’s name. It was so maddening I tell you and all of you that have a blog know exactly what I went through!
Things I thought about when starting my hunt for the perfect blog name:
- Does the name give an easy infusion of what the blog is about?
- Can it be misconstrued as something else? If people can think something naughty they will
- If it’s naughty they will come (why another bullet because seriously…they will)
- Name needs to flow easily off the tongue
- I really didn’t want “Book, Reading, Read, Shelves, etc” the obvious booky blog words in the title
- I tried to use funny famous SFF quotes or known things from favorite movies / books
- So your first second third and hundredth choice is taken, what now?
When I started compiling my list I came up with all sorts of names. It was like birthing a baby…or pulling teeth…or really just any other painful experience. You’d think it would have been fun. It was downright stressful because so many of the “good” names were already taken and likely years ago – OR other people were still coming up with good names and maybe I’m just not that creative. *pulls on my eyeballs like some crazed monster*
Would you believe I almost even convinced myself to buy a $1600 domain name that was already being sat on by one of those companies that just buys up domain names so they can swindle people out of their money. Below is a list of some of the discarded names for one reason or another that I came up with and then ditched. Like I said many were already taken, some I thought on and went hmmmm nope, or still others just really didn’t sound like ME. Can you guess which one of the names below would have cost $1600? LOL.
* The Red Pill
* It’s a Multipass
* It’s a Trap
* Carpe Librum
* Strange Horizons
* Strange New Worlds
* Losing Time
* Straight on Til Morning
* Better Off Read
I actually had WAYY more names written up besides these that I’m sure some of them were better than what is shown but by the time I got around to writing this post they have all flown from my head.
Ultimately, I have no idea how I ended up coming up with the name NOT YET READ. I think it might have gone something like –
“OMG I have so many books I’ve not yet read that there is no way I’ll ever get through them all. And perhaps a lightbulb went off? I like that – I’m going with that.”