Soooooo…Tabitha said I could totally do a 2014 book re-cap since she already did her 2015 goals of the year. So yay, more creative space laid out for Kat!! I did a little blog hopping and found this magical End of the Year Survey so thank you Jamie!! You’ve made this so much easier for me. I was stumbling on what to include and why. This helps me bunches and bunches with questions to actually answer. And so without further adeiu…
Number Of Books You Read: 225
Number of Re-Reads: 1–City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, which I haven’t read since high school. Rating for 2007: ☆☆☆☆☆. Rating for 2014: ☆☆. Big difference there.
Genre You Read The Most From: I don’t have a set count, but from the looks of it…either Horror or Fantasy.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014? (A tie! Between…)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? (At least a good dialogue review came out of it, here’s a taste: SOME SERVANT: I cut myself trying to cut this potato. Most exciting thing in the book so far.)
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? (A friend and I picked this book solely based on how crappy the cover was. We planned on making fun of it in our buddyread and turns out, it was actually pretty damn good.)
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014? Half a King–(I raved and raved and I’m still raving for book two)
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014? (FEVER, FEVER, FEVER…yes I did live under a rock for the past 10 years.)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014? (Brandon Sanderson is slowly rising to the top for me. I’m excited for Firefight!)
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? (I don’t normally read memoirs or biographies. In fact, that, along with middle-grade are the only genres I never really touch. I read pretty much everything else, but I was surprised by how amazing this story was and the connection I felt for Nancy’s mother and the aftermath of her horrible death.)
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? (Does a graphic novel count? Yeah…it totally counts…)
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Half a King! (AHHHH!! It’s happening soon actually, I’m rereading it before I read book #2 which comes out next month!)
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014? (I just love this one and it’s a beautiful book to boot!)
11. Most memorable character of 2014? (GLOKTA!! I LOVE THAT BASTARD!)
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014? (I know, I know…it looks horrific and definitely not the type to be considered “beautiful,” but I love the writing style and descriptions. It was horrifically beautiful to me and I’ve had the pleasure of expressing to the author how much I love his work and him embracing every compliment!!)
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014? (It’s been a long time coming, but I finally read this book and it was absolutely amazing.)
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER! (I was rec’d it years and years ago and I finally got around to reading it and loving it!)
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”
— Scott Lynch (The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1))
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: (well it’s a short story) “The Egg” by: Andy Weir (4 pages)
Longest: “Needful Things” by: Stephen King (790 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most. (Do I have to keep saying HALF A KING. I do don’t I? Yes, yes…it shocked me on multiple occasions, of course that could be because I wasn’t expecting them and I was too invested to see it.) Next would be Dangerous Girls!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!). Didn’t really have one this year, but if I did…I guess Dani and Dancer from Moning’s “Iced.” I’d like them to get together more than anyone else.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year. (Roland and my man Eddie just make for some awesome entertainment!)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously. (Let’s just put The Drawing of the Three in that category as well….easier on me.)
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure. (Everyone raved about this one and I was glad to be a part of all the love:)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014? (WARREN!!!)
23. Best 2014 debut you read? The Truth about Alice
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Don’t know about this one actually…I’m going to skip it. There’s too many I’m recalling, lol. I’m not getting lazy >_> I swear.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? Maybe Not (I shit you not, I was smiling the whole time even with the strong instalove. I was super bias about loving Warren.)
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014? (I teared up during several events. Bullying really gets to me especially when it’s someone who has a different way of thinking.)
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? (I was the very first person to review this on Goodreads. I jumped and I flew.)
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? (Take that question literally. Take that title seriously.)
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014? (Don’t ask.)
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? (Oh it made me mad alright AND I HATED/RANTED ABOUT IT!! I was super pissed.)
Here’s my little add on video!!
Annnnnd here’s the list just in case you wanted to check those books out:
Most Romantic: Love Show
Dark and Moody w/ a good side: Tempt me at Twilight
One you would like to tame: Reasonable Doubt
You friendzone: Shadow and Bone
Your soulmate: BATMAN!!!
You want to elope with: Maybe Not
Travel with: Half a King
Stranded on an island with: Skin Deep
Most Badass: Cloak and Dagger
Thanks for reading you guys!! This was a long ass post.
Latest posts by Kat Stark (see all)
- Review: MARY: The Summoning by Hillary Monahan - May 8, 2015
- Review: Boring Girls by Sara Taylor - March 30, 2015
- Review: The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things by Ann Aguirre - March 23, 2015