I have a confession to make…
I’m not a monogamous reader.
I cheat and read more then one book at a time.
But why? Well because I find myself wanting a different book format depending on where I am and what I’m doing.
At any given time I almost always have an audiobook, print book and an e-book in progress. Then usually whichever book grabs my attention the most ends up being devoured.
Or sometimes the book I’m liking the least I push thru the quickest to get the experience over with (like ripping of a bandaid!)
So how has this been effecting my reading habits lately?
– I have become addicted to audiobooks lately since I’m in a constant state of discomfort from the last few months of my pregnancy (now only two weeks left!) and feeling like I need to get up and move around all the time. Thus I’ve just been playing audiobooks way more.
– And the last few months I’ve also gotten hooked to listening to them on anything from 2x to 3x speed! Making what would normally be a 12 Hour audiobook now a 4 Hours. Hot damn right!?
– The past two months I have frequently been able to finish an audiobook in a day.
– I’ve also been reading a lot more books that have been my personal TBR for forever but I’ve never gotten around to for lack of time what with all the review books I always prioritize ahead of them.
– I have been using my library e-Audio overdrive library constantly!
– With audiobooks I’ve substantially increased the number of books I’ve been able to read on a weekly / monthly basis. I’m already 10 books ahead of schedule to read 200 books this year! If I can keep up this pace I might be able to read 250 books this year instead of 200! I doubt this will happen tho once the baby is born but hey a gal can dream.
– I have come to love my kindle over the last two years. I can remember years ago I used to hate them. I always wanted the feel of a real book in my hands. Now I cannot deny how convenient they are.
– They make reading at night so much easier on my eyes because my husband likes soft light bulbs where as I like the brighter lightbulbs. I swear I think he’s trying to make me live in a lightless cave sometimes with how dim he likes to keep the lights in this house! so when it’s night time I switch from whatever print book I’m reading over to my kindle.
– Also the e-reader is perfect for road trips, even the short weekend errand runs I do with the hubs as my chauffeur (i need a bag boy right?)
– I also use the kindle for those pesky times when I have to wait in lines because it’s easier to quickly open and close.
– I have also noticed that I read faster when reading on my kindle because it tells me an estimate of how much longer it thinks it will take me to finish that chapter or the entire book and I find myself always trying to beat the estimate.
– It’s easier to read an e-book or audiobook while eating instead of a print book.
– Plus think of all the seconds that are saved from not having to turn pages!
– These will always have a special place in my heart. There is nothing like the feel of a real book in your hands and the smell of the pages.
– I have a bad habit of skipping to the last chapter sometimes and reading the last few pages of the book to relieve pressure lol. I can’t/don’t do this with audiobooks and e-books.
– Of a book comes with illustrations I simply must have it in print.
– If I’m listening to an audio book I like to have it in print or on my kindle as well for quoting and correct spelling of name purposes.
– Character names stick better in my head if I read a few lines of the book in print or ebook, not just hearing it on audio.
– When it’s a particularly heavy print book I don’t take it out of the house with me because damn that makes my purse really heavy!
– I have to read with a pillow on top of my pregnant belly to prop the book up.
– I’m having a hard time coming up with other print reading habits. But they are definitely easier for me to quote from!