Exhausted much yes! – someone pass me a super mega sized Ice White mocha triple shot hold the whip please!
So I’m finally back in the swing of things reading wise – I’m still reading much slower then I would normally (if I didn’t have a mewling baby begging me for every ounce of my attention, arms, hands and soul). I’m learning when and how I can best read under conditions of extreme sleep deprivation and hey sometimes starvation because let’s face it…I’m always freaking hungry. This little guy is still zapping all of the life and nutrients out of me. Ok but enough complaining – I love’s the little booger.
Back to reading. I’ve come to realize that I can’t handle just any kind of book right now.
– Deep thought provoking reads? – NO (I haven’t the brain power)
– Slow and steady wins the race? – NO (It’ll put me to sleep faster then …trying to think of something witty here and I just can’t see?)
– Emotionally heart wrenching and all that jazz? – NO (come on don’t you know I’m hormonally imbalanced right now!?)
So what CAN I read?
– Fast! I like it fast and loosey goosey baby yeeeah – cause yeah I don’t have a lot of time.
– Funny! Because hey I need something to make me laugh….when I’m not crying along with my baby and from exhaustion
– Light cause anything heavy will weigh me down and knock me out
– Ok so maybe not so light or shallow that there is no substance – I still need something to sink my teeth into.
– Action cause its the only action this girl is going to be seeing for a long time cause let’s face it – I’m broken. You ever go 40 rounds on the mechanical bull? I feel worse then that. Oh what was that TMI? Tooo freaking bad *evil laughter*
A few books I’ve absolutely loved recently (I’ve had pretty good luck acttually all things considered)
– UPROOTED by Naomi Novik (the best eveeeer) – #fantasy
– PRUDENCE by Gail Carriger (giggles giggles – I loves me some Carriger) – #Victorian #alternate history #steampunk #urban fantasy
– GOLDEN SON by Pierce Brown (action the max, kill kill kill, die die die) – #sci-fi
– FINN FANCY NECROMANCY by Randy Henderson (so much fancy pants fun fool!) – #urban fantasy
I’ve determined that what I’ve really been enjoying lately is Urban Fantasy. It seems to have a wonderful mix of all the elements I need. Let’s call it my comfort go to reads during this time of exhaustion. But I’m also really loving fantasy. I AM going to try two epic fantasies this or next month. Lets see if I can survive it shall we? Or if they make my weak exhausted brain explode. You never know I might be able to hang with them.
So any of you got any recommendations for what makes for great reading when you are are physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted but you just CAN”T not read because hey reading is a life line for us.
I’ll stop reading when I’m dead.
Latest posts by Tabitha (Pabkins) (see all)
- Review: Portrait Revolution by Julia L. Kay - July 10, 2017
- Review: Doodletopia Manga by Christopher Hart - March 23, 2017
- Review: Freehand Figure Drawing for Illustrators by David H. Ross - June 28, 2016